Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Candy Shop Baby Theme - Sweet Treats

Well, I am blogging about a new job I just finished. I was approached by my neighbor and her daughter about doing a few items for her best friend's shower. The girl was having twins and my neighbors wanted to blow her away with great gifts. Of course I told them they came to the right spot, LOL! They had a toy box they wanted painted, a double growth chart and a trash can. I had to get pretty busy as I had less than 2 weeks, 10 days to pull all this together and this was a BIG order. I was in the middle of finishing up 20 bows for a local hospital, which is a big undertaking, and I busted tail to get those done. Once they were done, I was able to start these pieces. I had less than a week until the shower to get these done and let me tell you, it was an exhausting week. I was up for nights on end until 2:30 and 3:30 in the morning painting, painting, painting. My husband came home from work in the afternoon, took the kids off my hands and just let me work and work I did!

When I asked about the theme in the nursery for the twins I was told it was bubblegum. I took a look at the bedding on-line and it was yellow, pink, dark pink with lots and lots of bubbles all over it. I thought about doing bubbles just like the bedding, but decided to take my pieces to a different level, but tie it all in to the bubblegum theme. I wanted something more than just bubbles on the pieces, I thought that it would get boring on all of them and wanted something that would grow with the girls. I drew up some ideas and took them to my neighbor. Of course pencil and paper didn't really show all the work, but they got the idea and loved it. My idea was to make a candy shop, keeping the colors of the bedding and room. I got to work. I'm not sure you all know what goes into projects of mine, but I put time into everything I do, starting with sanding each piece down. After sanding all the pieces and prepping them for the artwork. I started on the toy box. My neighbor was taking the toy box and filling it with baby gifts. I would work a day on the toy box, run next door to my neighbor and have her come look at what I was doing. She was in aww every time she saw it and it made me happy to show her each stage of what I was doing. After the toy box was done, I started the trashcan. I called my mom down this day to help me prep and get it get ready. She was a HUGE help and I couldn't have finished it without her. I put alot of work into the trashcan as it took almost 10 hours of painting, glittering and detailing to finish. It shows however and came out beautiful. I then had just over 24 hours to pull the double growth chart and I got busy. I worked and worked almost all night and was up early to finish it. When my neighbor showed up to collect the pieces that morning, she about fell over because she loved them so much. Not only did she love them, she paid me double what I charged her and that in turn made me love her! It made my day to see her face with such delight and just ohh and ahh over them. I normally ship my stuff out and don't see the reactions of people when they see what I've done. It was nice and really made me feel good. I just LOVE what I do. I love to create things for people that are one of a kind, original, handpainted and really priceless. These gifts were the HIT of the party I was told and everyone was jealous that their gifts didn't stack up. My neighbor said it was awesome to have the best gifts for her best friend and that they put the pieces in the nursery and it all matched up to everything in there. At the end of the day, I can be exhausted, but this is why I do what I do, to make memorable pieces of artwork that someone will charish for years to come. I really like to make people smile with my work, it makes it all worth it!

Here are some pics of the pieces.


This is the top of the toy box

This is the front of the toy box

This is the back. All the pink trim was painted and had glitter on it

This is the side

This is the other side


This is the Double Growth Chart



This is the trashcan - the pink had glitter on this too
Both sides looked like this





3 comments:

  1. SO CUTE!!!! Excellent work Mel. I love all the candy detail. I'm sure the pictures don't do it justice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! That looks like a lot of work and I am sure it will be cherished.

    ReplyDelete